Party Wall

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations.

A building owner proposing to start work covered by the Act must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions in the way set down in the Act. The period of notice is normally one or two months depending on the work to be undertaken.  Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed. Where they disagree, the Act provides a mechanism for resolving disputes.

For building owners it is important to take party wall advice at an early stage and well in advance of appointing a contractor to undertake building works that are covered by the Act.

The Act is separate from obtaining planning permission or building regulations approval and in our experience it is normally the forgotten area of building works.

We are able to act for building owners or adjoining owners to where the proposed work will be taking place.  We are also able to act jointly for both owners where the proposed works are more straightforward.

We are happy to discuss your individual circumstances over the telephone and how we will be able to assist.

To download a copy of our leaflet please click here. We can also be contacted on 020 8877 0532.